Friday, April 08, 2005

Shine a Light

This link above provides some history of the song and the lyrics . Brian Jones, who founded the Rolling Stones, was fired by the rest of the band around 1969 because his various addictions were hurting his performance and reliability (which is saying a lot for this band). This is one of my favorite Rolling Stones numbers. And I suppose it points to a theology that "through Christ" we are redeemed and "saved," not "through faith" or through "faith and works." Maybe Christ is able to "save" those who never had reason to know of or believe in him. That is, apparently, Mick & Keith's wish. And mine.

Frankly, this is where Purgatory and/or reincarnation are most attractive, even if they are not Biblical. Maybe it takes some just one lifetime, but others thousands of years, to finally "see the light" and start the process to become fit for paradise. It is understandable how many people, of whatever religion, desires us all to be cleansed and redeemed to be fit for eternal bliss, even if it is a long process.

I am viciously "anti-liberal" when it means trying to either replace God with the State, or try to "help" God with the State. And if liberalism insists that the latest version of Darwinism is epistemlogically true, even when there's no evidence for it that can't be better explained by a flood 5000 years ago. If that is liberalism, I'm not intersted. But I suppose that my hyper-preterist, universal-salvaitionist tendencies do make me a theological liberal.

All I know is, "May the good Lord shine a Light on you."

1 Comments:

Blogger bruced said...

Interesting thoughts! I'll be back to read more and learn more about you!

Bruce in Pittsburgh

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home