Thursday, February 17, 2005

Becoming Catholic

From the "Clueless Christian" (Dr. Shari De Silva):

So I had to ask myself why I was so quick to defend the authority of Holy Scripture, and so unwilling to accept the authority of the Magisterium that seemed to have followed in a continuous fashion from the early Magisterium that wrote and compiled Holy Scripture. It seemed to me that the main reason I balked at swallowing this gnat, was that those who wrote Holy Scripture was safely dead, and that therefore I was free to interpret Holy Scripture according to the light of my intellect and reason. It seemed to me that I was upholding the authority of Scripture, in the same way many people uphold the authority of the US Constitution. Those who can gainsay any particular interpretation have long passed from this world, and therefore precisely what is “constitutional” can be debated with impunity. Acknowledging a living authority is a different matter, however. The living authority might well interpret Holy Scripture in a manner that I disagreed with. In other words, looking honestly into my own heart (and I speak for nobody other than myself) the main reason that I refused to acknowledge the authority of the Magisterium was because I was no better than the modern “gnostics” that I railed against in the Anglican church. They wished to submit themselves to Christ but to retain control over their hearts and loves. They did not wish Christ to transform their hearts or their sexuality. I wished to submit to Christ but to retain command of my mind and reason. I did not wish Christ to transform my mind. Like Eve before me, I preferred to have control over my knowledge of good and evil, rather than to trust in God’s provenance for me.

Looking at it from this point of view, I could come up with no honest reason to remain Protestant. So I became Catholic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home